This curry always reminds me of our travel along the Howrah-Bhubaneswar rail route. Poori and aloo-parwal curry is always the best seller on this route.
Time taken 30 mins
Makes 3 to 4 servings
4 small potatoes
1 medium onion
1 teaspoon of oil
salt to taste
1 string of curry leaves
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon of urad dal
pinch of turmeric
pinch of hing/Asafoetida
1 tbsp ginger and green chilies paste
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp amchur powder
Cilantro for garnish
- Cut Parwal ,Potatoes,onion and keep aside.
- For Tadka, heat a pan, and add a teaspoon of oil.
- Add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Then add jeera ,urad dal.When the color of urad dal turns golden brown,add hing,ginger-green chilies paste,turmeric,curry leaves and fry them lightly.
- Now add Onions,garam masala,amchur powder and saute lightly
- Then add parwal ,potato and fry for about 15 mins.
- Add water and cook till desired consistency is achieved and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve it hot with roti,rice,poori or phulka.