It is prepared with Toor dal ,mixed vegetables,tamarind juices along with sambar powder.It is usually served with rice,Idli,dosa,vada.
Time 30 minutes
1.5 cup mixed vegetables(diced onions,carrots,Lauki)
1/2 cup Toor dal
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp sambar powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1tbsp tamarind (soak tamarind in warm water for 10 min.extract the juice and set aside)
few curry leaves or chopped cilantro leaves
salt to taste
1tsp Jaggery or Sugar (by adding sugar or jaggery will help to cut the tart taste )
2 cups water
1 tsp oil
1 dried red chilli
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
pinch of asfoetida
Cooking instructions for toor dal:
- Rinse and wash the dal for 2-3 times and add 1.5 cups of water .
- Allow it to cook in the pressure cooker for 6-7 whistles on medium flame.
- Let the pressure in cooker settle down before you open the lip
- The consistency of dal should be soft and mushy.
- Head a pan with oil and add mustard seeds allow them to crackle.
- then add fenugreek seeds,cumin seeds,red chilli ,asafoetida fry until they are brown.
- Now add onion fry for 1 to 2 mins then add turmeric,salt,curry leaves,lauki,carrot,tamarind juice,sambar powder,chili powder,2 cups water cover with a lid and cook it until the vegetables are soft for 20 mins.
- then add the cooked dal and bring it to a boil ,add jaggery/sugar.simmer for 10 mins
- Switch off the stove and serve it with hot with Rice,Idli,dosa,vada.
-You can add any number of vegetables(drumsticks,cauliflower,sweet potato,okra,brinjals,shallots).
-Cooking vegetable in tamarind juice allow them to retain the shape and all the vegetable acquire the tangy ,spicy taste.