The Andhra style tomato dal is cooked with Toor(Yellow split lentils) dal and tomato seasoned with Indian herbs.It is a delicious,tangy and flavorful.It is usually accompanied with rice and ghee(clarified butter) or you can serve with Indian flatbread (Roti).
3/4 cup Toor dal(yellow split lentils)
3 Medium size tomatoes chopped
3 Green Chilies chopped
1 tsp of tamarind paste
2 tbsp of finely chopped cilantro(optional)
few curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp oil
salt to taste
1/4 tsp black mustard seeds
1/4 tsp Urad Dal
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
pinch of hing
1 tsp Red chili powder
Procedure for cooking dal:
- Dry roast the lentils on a medium flame and for 5 mins.
- Then add 1 and 3/4 cup of water and cook for 3-4 whistles in a pressure cooker
- Heat oil in a pan on a medium flame add all the seasoning allow them to splutter and then add tomato & green chilies cook it covered for 4 mins or until they are soft.
- Then Add turmeric,salt,red chili powder,salt to taste ,tamarind paste,cooked dal & curry leaves. Mix thoroughly and bring to a boil.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with cilantro.Serve hot with steamed rice & ghee.