Quinoa (Keen-wah) is a gluten free grain that has been popular over last few years for it protein content and some of the vital nutrients. I don’t think there is an Indian name for quinoa. But you can try to buy online in India.I am trying to cook up Indian quinoa recipes that suit our palates.Today i made quick,easy,tangy and tasty lemon quinoa pulihora.This is an alternative for rice lovers and weight watchers.
Prep time:5 mins
Cook time:15 mins
Yields : 2
1 cup Quinoa
Cooking instruction for quinoa
- Cook with 2 cups of water,pinch of salt and 1 tbsp of oil in a pan until it is fluffy and set aside when done.
- Note:It cooks easily in 15 to 20 mins.
1 lemon (Squeeze the lemon juice and set aside)
1 tbsp of peanuts
11/2 tsp of roasted sesame powder(dry roast and make it into a powder)
2 green chilies cut lengthwise(optional if you don’t want it to be spicy)
1 spring of curry leaves(this add a nice flavor)
salt to taste
For Seasoning(This add the crunch to the quinoa)
1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
1/2 tsp of urad dal
1/2 tsp of chanadal
1/2 tsp of turmeric
pinch of hing
oil for seasoning
- Heat a pan with oil on low flame and add mustard seeds allow them to splutter ,then add urad dal,chana dal,hing,peanuts roast them until they turn brown.
- Now add green chilies,turmeric,curry leaves and allow them to fry for half a minute.
- Then add this mixture to the cooked quinoa at the same time add lemon juice,salt to taste,roasted sesame powder and mix well till everything is incorporated well.
- Enjoy the tangy lemon quinoa as is or with a dollop of yogurt.
- If Quinoa is not available you can use the same procedure for rice or cracked wheat.